Everything you need to know about our product install, setup steps, configuration and usage of various features
Thank you for your interest towards our Editor & Librarian software.
We built our Korg microKxR Editor to control Korg microKorg (mk1) model over MIDI. Modern synths come up with an integration tool to hook your synth into DAW and we wanted to give this same opportunity to you as well. Connect MIDI input & output, Audio jack cables to mixing console / sound card and fire up your DAW to get started!
microKxR Editor User Manual contains instructions to get the plug-in installed and configured. Please read this manual through carefully.
Our company & product has nothing to do with Korg Inc.
If there is an issue with our product, open a support ticket in your account page.
You can find support details at the end of this document.
Support and updates are free for life to anyone who has bought the license from our store
What this product CAN do?
- Control your Korg microKorg hardware synthesizer from your DAW over MIDI.
- Edit almost every parameter of your synthesizer from our plug-in.
- We added almost 500 parameters to the plugin (2 timbres) so the sound editing should be painless and quick task.
- Automate almost every parameter in your DAW.
- Easier to handle automations than trying to remember hundreds of #CC’s.
- Changing timbre from plugin changes timbre in hardware and vice versa.
- Layer multiple patches to create massive leads or such.
- Parameters that are available for automation will be listed on your DAW. (Ableton Live can’t see our parameters, until you touch a knob / button).
- Total Recall of the sounds used up on project reload.
- All of the current parameters from the plugin will be sent to the hardwares temp memory up on project reload!
- Time saver when thinking about storing, naming and loading data from multiple hardwares per project.
- Plugin reacts to hardware knob movements and displays knob, menu and button values within the plugin display.
- Store banks to your microKorg from the librarian. (coming soon)
- Store patches to your microKorg from the librarian.
- Request banks from your microKorg to the librarian.
- Request patches from your microKorg to the librarian.
- Store requested or modified bank data to your own library (on your HDD).
- View & edit patch name in plug-in interface & librarian.
- Librarian supports MIDI and SysEx soundset formats from microKorg / MS2000 models.
- Librarian supports import of official Korg microKorg editor programs.
- Select next or previous librarian patch from hardware.
- Select next or previous hardware patch from librarian.
- Move patches from one bank to another and save as you like.
- You can send patches from the plug-in to your synthesizers Temp memory buffer OR you can write user memory slots through our plug-in.
- Download and import all of the microKorg / MS2000 soundsets in one folder for quick access through the plugin.
- Each timbre can have its own patch.
- Each timbre has its own parameters which you can automate from your DAW.
What this product CANNOT do?
- Transmit AUDIO. Audio must be routed with Audio Jack cables from the hardware to your console inputs or sound card inputs.
- Generate any audio. This product is an Editor for Korg microKorg (mk1) Synthesizers.
- Korg microKorg Synthesizer.
- MIDI Interface that can handle System Exclusive messages. Cheap USB-MIDI cables does not work. ESI MIDIMATE EX is known to work on macOS and Windows platforms.
- macOS 10.7 or greater with 32/64-bit AudioUnit or VST2 host application.
- Windows XP or greater with 32/64-bit VST2 host application.
- At least FULL HD resolution on your display.
Available plug-in formats
Currently supported host applications
- Ableton Live
- Apple Logic
- Bitwig Studio
- Cockos Reaper
- Image Line Fruity Loops
- Presonus Studio One
- Reason Studio Reason
- Steinberg Cubase
- MOTU Digital Performer
- AVID Pro Tools
- Universal Audio Luna
We haven’t tested other hosts, but if your host can load the plug-in formats mentioned above, you shouldn’t have any issues loading our plug-in.
If there is an error with the plug-in on your host, let us know and we will make it work.
Downloading the product demo or updater
Anyone can download the demo version of our product and test it out, but only registered customers are entitled to download the free updater for their purchase. If you have purchased our product through another website and you have issues regarding to your account, contact us and our staff will attempt to reply within few hours.
User interface will show your product status in the plug-in control display:
- DEMO version will indicate ** DEMO VERSION **
- Unregistered FULL version will indicate RELOAD LICENSE
- Registered FULL version will indicate REGISTERED
You can find instructions for plug-in registration further below.
Note #1: Always keep back-up of the downloaded installer at your own HDD. We are not storing old installers in our servers!
This is important if something goes wrong with the update, you have an installer in your personal storage to rescue your project if it really screws something up!
IMPORTANT NOTE PRIOR TO INSTALL:
Please make sure you make a proper backup of your microKorg before you run the installer. We will not take any responsibility for your synth and you have to agree to this when buying our product.
You can backup your microKorg easily with these simple steps:
- Open your DAW and insert empty MIDI track.
- Make sure MIDI messages are allowed to come through from microKorg.
- Hit record from your DAW.
- From microKorg:
- Press and hold shift + Program Number 6 -> Set dump type to ALL with the first knob (1-cutoff) -> press blinking key 6.
- Wait until all of the data has been received – this will take approximately 15 seconds.
You can read more about the SysEx dump from the Korg microKorg user manual.
DOCUMENTS AND DATA LOCATIONS
If you have overwritten any of the included plug-in sound banks with a previous version of the plug-in, it is worth renaming those sound banks in order to prevent data overwrite once plug-in updater is executed.
Plug-in data / license folder is:
[macOS] /Library/Audio/Presets/Mystery Islands Music/Korg microKxR Editor/ [Windows] ~Documents\Mystery Islands Music\Korg microKxR Editor
- Parameters cannot be automated from your DAW.
- Total Recall is disabled.
- Librarian Bank Edits cannot be saved.
- Librarian “Store Data to Hardware” is disabled.
- Demo cannot be registered.
Download the demo and run the installer. After you have installed the plug-in, open your DAW and let your host do the plug-in scan – If the scan fails, try again. If it simply won’t pass, send us the crash report.
Here is how we can quickly check what happened and why:
- Copy the error message / crash report content to a new text file and send it to us.
- Tell us how we can reproduce the issue on our end.
You can send the error report with instructions to us via our tickets page.
You can also find some solutions from the Troubleshooting section too.