Everything you need to know about our product install, setup steps, configuration and usage of various features
In a hurry? Download Roland JP-80x0 User Manual to read offline
v2.6.0 - 2020-March-17
Thank you for your interest towards our Editor & Librarian software.
We built our Roland JP-80×0 Editor to control Roland JP-8000 / Roland JP-8080 models over MIDI. Modern synths come up with an integration tool to hook your synth into DAW and we wanted to give this same opportunity to you as well. Connect MIDI input & output, Audio jack cables to mixing console / sound card and fire up your DAW to get started!
JP-80×0 Editor User Manual contains instructions to get the application and plug-in installed and configured. Please read this manual through carefully.
Our company & product has nothing to do with Roland Corporation.
If there is an issue with our product, open a support ticket in your account page.
You can find support details at the end of this document.
Support and updates are free for life to anyone who has bought the license from our store
What this product CAN do?
- Connect your Roland JP-8000 and / or JP-8080 directly with your DAW using MIDI.
- Edit almost every parameter of your synthesizer from our plug-in.
- Automate almost every parameter in your DAW.
- Plug-in user interface reacts to hardware knob & buttons movements.
- Edit both layers from the plug-in individually or link layers together.
- You can request through JP’s User, Preset and Memory Card** data within the plug-in librarian.
- You can send the patches from the plug-in to your synthesizers Temp memory buffer OR you can write user memory slots through our plug-in.
- JP-8000 incompatible parameters marked with **.
- Knob & button values are sent to hardware.
- View & edit performance name in plug-in interface .
- Request current patch from selected slot to librarian.
- Request all patches from selected bank to librarian.
- Store currently selected patch from librarian to hardware.
- Store current patch bank from librarian to hardware.
- Request temp performance data to librarian.
- Request current performance from selected slot to librarian.
- Request all performance data from selected bank to librarian.
- Store currently selected performance data from librarian to hardware.
- Store current performance bank from librarian to hardware.
- Load any midi / sysex patch or performance bank to librarian.
- Browse performance & patch banks within plugin librarian.
- Load currently selected performance data to plugin memory.
- Load currently selected performance bank to plugin memory.
- Load selected single patch to selected performance slot (upper / lower).
- Software stores last used performance data with plug-in to it’s memory.
- Software loads last used performance data with project load and sends it to hardware.
- Organize performance data in librarian and save a new performance bank to hard drive.
- Organize patch data in librarian and save a new patch bank to hard drive
- Send data to hardware from plugin by using INC / DEC buttons.
- Request data from selected bank to plug-in with INC / DEC buttons.
- Option to scroll thru hardware programs without sending performance / patch data to hardware.
- View & edit upper / lower part patch name.
- View & edit upper / lower part velocity sensitivity levels.
- View & edit upper / lower part control assign sensitivity levels.
- More knobs & buttons now reacts to hardware knob / button movements.
- Select performance midi channel.
- Select remote kbd midi channel.
- Randomize program data!
What this product CANNOT do?
- Transmit AUDIO. Audio must be routed with Audio Jack cables from the hardware to your console inputs or sound card inputs.
- Generate any audio. This product is an Editor for Roland JP-8000 / JP-8080 Synthesizers.
- Roland JP-8000 or Roland JP-8080 Synthesizer.
- MIDI Interface that can handle System Exclusive messages. Cheap USB-MIDI cables does not work. ESI MIDIMATE EX is known to work on macOS and Windows platforms.
- macOS 10.7 or greater with 32/64-bit AudioUnit or VST2 host application.
- Windows XP or greater with 32/64-bit VST2 host application.
- At least FULL HD resolution on your display.
Available plug-in formats
Currently supported host applications
- Ableton Live
- Apple Logic
- Bitwig Studio
- Cockos Reaper
- Image Line Fruity Loops
- Presonus Studio One
- Reason Studio Reason
- Steinberg Cubase
- MOTU Digital Performer
- AVID Pro Tools
- Universal Audio Luna
We haven’t tested other hosts, but if your host can load the plug-in formats mentioned above, you shouldn’t have any issues loading our plug-in.
If there is an error with the plug-in on your host, let us know and we will make it work.
Parameter differences between models
Select your Model from the user interface to access parameters which are available for your hardware model. Model selection menu is above the plug-in control display.
Parameters which are not available for JP-8000, are marked with ** in menus. Some parameters may not react to hardware and vice versa, until the model is selected from the plug-in user interface.
Model setting is only stored when the host project is stored.
This is because there are many users with different setups, i.e., we have 2 different JP models and we know some of our customers have 2 different JP models in their use as well.
Once you load the plug-in, set your model and midi i/o as a starting point!
Downloading the product demo or updater
Anyone can download the demo version of our product and test it out, but only registered customers are entitled to download the free updater for their purchase. If you have purchased our product through another website and you have issues regarding to your account, contact us and our staff will attempt to reply within few hours.
User interface will show your product status in the upper left corner:
- DEMO version will indicate ** DEMO VERSION **
- Unregistered FULL version will indicate RELOAD LICENSE
- Registered FULL version will indicate REGISTERED
You can find instructions for plug-in registration further below.
Note #1: Always keep back-up of the downloaded installer at your own HDD. We are not storing old installers in our servers!
This is important if something goes wrong with the update, you have an installer in your personal storage to rescue your project if it really screws something up!
IMPORTANT NOTE PRIOR TO INSTALL:
Please make sure you make a proper backup of your JP-8000 / JP-8080 before you run the installer. We will not take any responsibility for your synth and you have to agree to this when buying our product.
You can backup your JP easily with these simple steps:
- Open your DAW and insert empty MIDI track.
- Make sure MIDI messages are allowed to come through from JP.
- Hit record from your DAW.
- From JP:
- Edit (shift) & 7 (init/util) -> Bulk Dump -> All ->hit Write
- Wait until all of the data has been received
You can read more about the SysEx dump from the Roland JP-8000 or JP-8080 user manual.
DOCUMENTS AND DATA LOCATIONS
If you have overwritten any of the included plug-in sound banks with a previous version of the plug-in, it is worth renaming those sound banks in order to prevent data overwrite once plug-in updater is executed.
Plug-in data / license folder is:
[macOS] /Library/Audio/Presets/Mystery Islands Music/Roland JP-80x0 Editor/ [Windows] ~\Documents\Mystery Islands Music\Roland JP-80x0 Editor
- Parameters cannot be automated from your DAW.
- Total Recall is disabled.
- Librarian Bank Edits cannot be saved.
- Librarian “Store Data to Hardware” is disabled.
- Demo cannot be registered.
Download the demo and run the installer. After you have installed the plug-in, open your DAW and let your host do the plug-in scan – If the scan fails, try again. If it simply won’t pass, send us the crash report.
Here is how we can quickly check what happened and why:
- Copy the error message / crash report content to a new text file and send it to us.
- Tell us how we can reproduce the issue on our end.
You can send the error report with instructions to us via our tickets page.
You can also find some solutions from the Troubleshooting section too.
You can download user manuals to your HDD. These manuals are included with the installer as well.
Roland JP-80×0 Editor User Manual – Complete